Chemmystery

Monday, October 8, 2007

Keep on Trying!!

I feel very sad these days as I heard a lot about students trying very hard, but not getting the results. Seeing them so discouraged is making me feel like perhaps I have not done enough and everyone ends up despairing.

True, it would be rewarding to get good grades and all. But Life's cold and harsh sometimes. The amount of hard work might not equate to the final result. There could be a series of reasons.

Perhaps a particular subject was not really properly covered. When one claims they studied, what portion of studied does he/she means? Just read the notes/textbook? Try all the ten year series? Just doing every possible questions given on worksheets? Are the basic concept well understood?

I have always also not been an impressive student in school (except maybe in sec 1 and 2 only), in fact I FAILED my SEC 3 EOY CHEM, but who would have thought I would end up as a Chem Major in Uni..and now a Chemistry teacher.

It is not where we start but how we end. That is what I hope to bring the message across to everyone who is like dying over poor results. Ultimately, you guys are training for the O Levels. Of course along the way, you need to be pushed into thinking, trying more challenging questions and then you will see your results. You might need time to absorb, so just go at your own pace (but not too ridiculously slow also lah!) and stop comparing with others.

I never said the whole process is easy, but I really don't want people to give up and think of dropping this subject. Also think about this... WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE GOTTEN IF YOU DID NOT STUDY AT ALL? I shudder to think of the answer...

The important thing is to constantly revise, and learn from your mistakes. Chemistry is not one of those subjects that you can do last minute revision cos you migh remember some, but not all and that could prove to be quite dangerous.

Sometimes, we can cope with daily class tests and even common tests, which lead to complacency. I shall share a good example of me topping the class in JC on a particular Physics topic caled analog and guess what? I studied everything except that thinking that I needed a short while to revise that and in the end, I could not do those questions in the A level exams. But it was my own fault to think I was ready and too good for that topic... maybe sometimes, it is good to start everything back to basics...

To the dear sec 3s. One thing I've always admire about you guys is the determination and good attitude. Keep it up... you will go far. Just hang in there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home